Friday, October 21, 2011

Medical school here I come.

This is the way Fridays should always start:
Breakfast burrito and latte. 
This weekend we have fall break which I'm still trying to figure out why we even have fall break (not that I am complaining). For the past several weeks I have been traveling to medical schools around the country, most of which in the midwest. The trips have been exciting, exhausting, and surprising all at the same time. It has been really interesting visiting new places and realizing that my time at Point Loma is coming to a close in the next several months. Very strange.

But all of that to say, I am excited to finally have a weekend to spend in San Diego. So here is to quite possibly the most beautiful city in the united states. 

Also, more related to school, I got my first acceptance to medical school this past Monday. It is surreal knowing that I will actually be a medical student come next fall. I am grateful that all the hard work has paid off and am incredibly lucky to have had the support of family, friends, and Point Loma professors and classmates through this crazy process of preparing/applying to medical school. This is where I shamelessly plug the PLNU pre-med program. It has been absolutely amazing, and would love to talk to any prospective students about it, even if pre-med only sounds remotely interesting to you. 

Until next time. 

2 comments:

lexiwest74 said...

Hey, so I have really been looking into studying pre-med in college, and am absolutely in love with San Diego. Could you tell me a little bit about what the program is like at Point Loama? If you're too busy no worries, but if not, thanks for the help! :)

Chris Evans said...

Hi,

I am really sorry for not responding sooner. For whatever reason I didn't see this comment until now. My apologies.

As far as studying to get into medical school at PLNU. Like almost all universities, there is not a "pre-med" major, but rather several majors that will meet the pre-requisites for medical school. For me I am a joint major in Biology and Chemistry which definitely is sufficient for medical school admissions requirements. That being said, you can major in whatever you'd like and still go to medical school. The stipulation is however that regardless of what major you choose, you must still do all the premed requirements. To make sure that happens, at PLNU we have a Pre-Med committee that makes sure you are meeting the requirements as well as getting good letters of recommendation, properly prepared for the MCAT test, etc.

Overall PLNU is a great place to get prepared for admission to medical school. I don't know the exact statistic but we have over 90% acceptance rate into medical school, which is pretty incredible. Also, on a less academic note San Diego is hands down one of the best cities to live in. ;)

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask!